How to Tie a Bow Tie in 8 easy steps.
It has often been said that a self tied bow tie can be spotted a mile away in a crowd of ready tied to the knowing eye… but just how do they seamlessly perfect that impeccable knot? We have put together a step by step guide to show you how to mingle with the best of them.
Handy hint: At first practice tying the bow on something else, such as a tube. This will allow you to see the steps more clearly before moving on to the real thing.
1. Position the Bow Tie around your neck ( shirt collar up), with one side about 1.5 inches longer than the other.
2. Cross the long side over the shorter side, making sure that it fits comfortable but tightly around your neck, and put it through.
3. Put the longer end to one side for now, and fold the shorter end to make a loop/bow shape at the front.
4. Pull the longer end over the middle of the loop/bow shape at the front, (which will form the middle of the Bow Tie).
5. pinch the bow shape together, in front of the longer end (which is now hanging in the middle).
The next step is may seem slightly perplexing at first, but with a few practice runs, we guarantee that you will be an expert in no time.
6. Feed the longer end through the back of the knot. - A gap will have appeared for it to go through, when you have pinched the bow shape together.
7. when feeding it through, make sure that it is folded in half/ pinched, (as with the other end in step five). This will form the back of the Bow Tie.
8. Adjust the tightness of the middle section by gradually pulling on each loop carefully. This will allow you to create the right shape.
Don’t forget to check on your Bow Tie periodically to ensure that it is still tightly fitted. Finally make sure to enjoy wearing your new purchase!
Here are a few photos of some admirable fellows sporting Self Tie Bow Ties.
(Images are not our own, credited to google and GQ magazine)